Unified, yet localized.
Being a ‘family of churches’ means that each Liberti Church has certain attributes that are localized, and others that are shared. These are not independent churches that do as they please, nor are they campuses that are often-times bottlenecked by over-centralization. We are a family of interdependent churches that are governed in an ultimate sense by Christ and His Word, in a local sense by a plurality of biblically qualified elders, in a strategic sense by a plurality of Lead Pastors, and in a contextual sense by the vision and values of Liberti Church as a whole.
As a ‘family of churches’ we want to do everything possible to empower each church location, while retaining enough shared attributes to resource, support, and catalyze better local mission and ministry. The primary place this interdependence is expressed is at the strategic level through a plurality of Lead Pastors, but also in committing to:
- Shared name (Liberti)
- Shared vision and values
- Shared sermon series (preached live primarily by each Lead Pastor)
- Shared doctrinal distinctives
- Shared centralised resourcing (accounting, graphics, policies, curriculums, etc)
- Shared leadership at the strategic level, through a plurality of Lead Pastors.
Planting Liberti Churches is an evangelistic strategy for saturating our city with the gospel. Rather than trying to ‘attract’ people across our city to one large location, we desire to take the gospel to them through local churches that are embedded in the many unique contexts of our region.
“We are a family of interdependent churches that are governed in an ultimate sense by Christ and His Word, in a local sense by a plurality of biblically qualified elders, in a strategic sense by a plurality of Lead Pastors, and in a contextual sense by the vision and values of Liberti Church as a whole.”
Financially generous and pastorally empowered.
Each Liberti Church is devoted to the goal of becoming financially and pastorally self-sustaining. So while sharing some things, locally each Liberti Church will also commit to:
- Being led by a Lead Pastor, who is the primary preacher for that church location.
- Raising up a local team of Pastors/Elders, led by their Lead Pastor as a ‘first among equals.’ The primary purpose of this team to “shepherd the flock of God that is among you,” (1 Peter 5:2-3) while “equipping the saints for the work of the ministry, for building up the body of Christ” (Ephesians 4:12). Along with pastoral care and oversight, other responsibilities for this team include budget oversight, leadership development, and contextualizing the mission to their unique area of our city.
- Identifying and launching localized ministries that bless their surrounding community, which the local leadership team is responsible for identifying, developing, & implementing.
- Practicing gospel-giving and generosity at a local level into their own account, with the goal of becoming financially self-sustaining. A small percentage of this – dependent upon church size/health/season – is then given into a central fund that covers the above-mentioned shared resourcing expenses.
- Giving away 10% of their general income to local and global church planting efforts.
Measuring success through sending, not seating.
Liberti is fiercely committed to spreading the gospel through planting churches that will in turn plant churches. Every Liberti Church begins with the vision and language of multiplication in their DNA, and commits, by the grace of God, to sending out a new church plant within their first five years. Beyond the number of people in seats on a Sunday, we desire to measure success for a local church primarily through its ability to self-replicate and send out future healthy churches and church planters. Each Liberti Church commits itself to assessment by and affiliation with the Acts 29 Network; a diverse, global family of church-planting churches.